Friday, January 20, 2017

Progress Report 14/1/17

I’ve pretty much finished the backend of the application. There are a few bugs left and workarounds implemented that need to be sorted out (which I’ll talk about later). I’m well into the frontend work, and expect to have all the required functionality (‘must’ in the Statement of Requirements) completed within a few days. Overall I’m slightly behind schedule, but I left plenty of leeway in my schedule so I’m not worried about being late for any deadlines.

The one change that will be required to the backend of the application is with regards to how I can fetch users from the database. The current VLC system’s repository does not allow for the retrieval of users based on ID, only by email address (for reasons I’m not quite sure about). This is a problem because I will sometimes need to fetch a user based on data stored client-side (which encoding that data into a URL). Using email addresses as REST URLs has a few problems (http://softwareengineering.stackexchange.com/questions/222158/is-it-ok-to-use-email-as-an-identifier-in-a-restful-uri) that aren’t fatal, but certainly make it less than ideal. I currently have a workaround in place whereby I added my own method to the VLC repository, but I would like to have something in place that doesn’t require modification of the current system if possible.


With regards to the frontend of the application, progress is coming along nicely. There are very few bells and whistles, but login, viewing and selecting groups, and receiving messages works nicely. The vast majority of the frontend work was setting up the Angular 2 project and getting SignalR to work nicely with it, I expect the other core features to be done within a couple of days. Then I will be able to polish it and add the non-necessary features.

No comments:

Post a Comment